Some images from avenue north-west to Whitestown:
Nine images hereunder taken on December 1st, 2016:
November images from avenue south (King John's Bridge to Salaheen):
A foggy and frosty morning!
Built especially for King John's visit to Curraghmore, but he didn't come this far!
Prince John, son of King Henry II of England, visited Ireland in 1185, to look after his father’s affairs here, which obviously meant ensuring the submission of certain ‘disloyal’ native nobles. The Norman de la Poers had only arrived here fifteen years previously approx.
In April 1185, he arrived back once more, this time as King John. Landing at Crooke, a short few miles from Waterford, he set out to reduce the native chieftains and nobles to submission, especially the de Lacys. The de Lacys fled to France.
King John and his army then marched all the way to Dublin and Meath, and even on to Carrickfergus, most others submitting to him.
He returned to England in August 1210, from which date the Lord Justice, John de Grey, looked after his affairs.
Legend has it that he was expected at Curraghmore during that lengthy visit, hardly to subdue the de la Poers, who built this bridge in 1205 especially for his arrival. He never came! This is considered to be the oldest bridge in Ireland!
Getting an overall view of the bridge is impossible,
due to adjacent trees, bushes, and river-bank foliage.
Viewed from Portlaw to Clonea-Power road.
Post a Comment