Places, Events, People and local History, illustrated with text, photographs, etc. by the site owner. Photographs or items supplied by others will be given credit. Text and/or images by the author or other contributors are COPYRIGHT, and may not be reproduced without permission in printed publications of any kind. However, we have now introduced a facility under each aticle, whereby you may now legally post or forward these images to social media, or email to friends,without permission.
Music Festival Fever is hitting Portlaw for almost two weeks now,
with the big event,
beng held in Curraghmore estate during the forthcoming bank holiday weekend.
Vehicles laden with equipment are driving through the area
for some time, raising dust clouds everywhere after them,
due to the abnormally dry weather.
Big surprise today, July 23rd, was seeing this tall communications mast
being erected right outside the front door of
Initially TV/Radio broadcasting came to mind,
until someone suggested it was to facilitate mobile phone users,
as the festival location is down in somewhat of a hollow beside
Am glad to notice some local shops are getting business from the many
workers who are here already.
NOTICE AT MAIN ENTRANCE TO CURRAGHMORE ESTATE:
One left-click will enlarge the above and most other images on this site.
Waterford City & County Council
also currently have a road closure notice on their website as follows: L8026 CLONEGAM RD, CLOSED FROM 3RD - 6TH AUGUST Notice is hereby given that Waterford City and County Council, will close the following public road from 3rd to 6th August 2018 to facilitate the All Together Now Festival: Road to be closed: L8026 Clonegam road from junction with Kilmacthomas to Carrick on Suir road R677, to its junction with Portlaw village. - August 25th -
Despite the music festival fever just a few fields away, life goes on,
carrying away the bales of straw from what appears to have been
a very successful crop of winter wheat.
Meanwhile, some locals were taking it easy at the fountain and enjoying
the much increased flow of people and traffic through the village.
Left to right:
Michael Walsh, Davy Keane, Séamus Crotty, Johnny Crotty.
Enjoying the Clonagam area, where he can regularly be seen,
and admiring the technology outside the church,
was local man, Tom Nugent.
The village of EMO, in County Laois ( from the Irish IOMA, which I can't find a translation for), is situated a few miles N.E. of Portlaoise, on the road to Portarlington.
The village grew up around the estate called EMO COURT, founded in the late 1700s by the then Earl of Portarlington. The estate in those days consisted of thousands of acres of land. The 3rd Earl, Henry Dawson-Damer, donated the site for the village's Gothic R.C. church, Saint Paul's, completed in 1870 approx.
We noticed the above plaque on an entrance gate pillar while driving by one day at Easter last.
The church's fine interior includes some beautiful stained glass windows, especially that over the altar, depicting the Last Supper, also one depicting Mary Magdalene washing the feet of Jesus
In addition, there's this fine 'Pieta' on left inside the main door.
Main attraction, however, must surely be a life-size Carrara
marble monument by the famous sculptor, Joseph Boehm, which was commissioned by
Lord Portarlington in 1875 in memory of his wife, Lady Alexandrina, better
known as Aline.
Therein lies the first connection with Portlaw.
The sculptor, Boehm, also executed the fine marble effigy of
Florence Grosvenor Rowley (1844 - 1895),
wife of the 5th Marquess of Waterford,
at Clonagam Church, Portlaw.
Lady Florence's memorial in Portlaw.
Lady Florence died in childbirth.
Both herself and her infant child are buried outside the front door of
Clonagam Church (Church of Ireland/Eaglais na hÉireann), Portlaw,
Further pictures of the memorial can be seen on this blog
by clicking on the Clonagam Church entry
under 'Popular Posts' on the site's home-page.
N.B. Clonagam Church and cemetery are seldom open nowadays; maybe only one day a year!
The present house, known as Emo Court, situated near the
village of EMO in County Laois, was only under construction in 1798, when its owner,
John Dawson, the 1st Earl of Portlarlington died. After the Phoenix Park, the enclosed
estate was then the second largest in the country.
He employed the architect, James Gandon*, to draw up plans
for his new house in 1790, and therein lies the second Portlaw
continued under the 2nd Earl, also John Dawson, but he passed away
in 1845, leaving the building still unfinished. He had employed a new architect
to continue with the work, changing much of what Gandon had planned. The 3rd Earl, Henry John Reuben
Dawson-Damer (1822-1889), more-or-less brought the house up to its present
Like many of his Anglo-Irish contemporaries, who during
World War II, The War of Independence and the Civil War, left the country, Henry
left the estate, then covering an area of twenty square miles, and sold it to
the Irish Land Commission in 1920. Much of the land is believed to have then
been distributed among local farmers, but the house remained idle for the next
ten years until it was purchased, along with 250 acres, by the Jesuits, who
turned it into a Novitiate.
Among those novitiates was Fr. Francis Browne, the
distinguished Irish photographer, who travelled the country, as a missionary,
for many years, and created one of the finest collections of images depicting
the Irish people and places during the period 1930 to 1957. His pictures
relating to the Titanic are his most famous.
Emo Court now houses a fine display of his work to which admission is free. To view the remainder of the house, there is a reasonable charge, with a reduction for seniors (which many places of interest do not have!), also students, children and families. Entrance to the magnificent park, with its many fine trees, is also free, and includes a car-park, picnic tables and toilet facilities, also a tea and lunch room. Check out www.heritageireland.ie for further info. For Sat Nav owners, the postal code is: R32 C44V.
A Fundraising Table Quiz for the Dr Martin Day Centre will be held in the Cotton Mill Portlaw on next Friday the 23rd of March at 8.15 pm. A table of 4 is 20 Euro or 5 Euro per person and also a raffle for some great prizes. On the night we will also hold an Auction for a beautiful handmade patchwork quilt. After the quiz we will have music by D.J. Alan; so please come along to support this excellent service for the older members of our community to raise badly needed funds.
Cards every Tuesday night at 8pm in the Dr Martin Centre; all welcome come along; cash prizes.