Saturday, April 27, 2013

THE TEAS IN THE TENT!





To finalise the 150th anniversary celebrations at St. Patrick's Church, Portlaw, on October 14th 2008, a special mass with much pomp, ceremony and music was held, which attracted a record attendance. This was followed by refreshments for all in a tent/marquee erected in the church grounds.



Here the church can be seen in a postcard by Lawrence of Dublin from circa 1905. Many were puzzled by the non-existence of the present bell tower. This was added on in 1910.  On close inspection of the original card, it appears the bell was hung from a wooden or cast-iron frame in the cemetery, to the extreme right of the picture. Three people, including a clergyman, are visible in this picture, two outside the church gate and one at the sacristy door.




Not knowing the names of ALL the people featured, it seems advisable at this stage to simply leave them out from every picture in this series.

















































A single left click on any image will show an enlarged version on a black background.

This concludes this series.